This monograph is the third in a series in which the heroes are submariners, old and young; or men who helped make the Submarine Force what it is today.
The first document was the Submarine History section of Steel Ships Iron Men, a book of more that 600 biographies of submariners published in 1994 by the Turner Publishing Company of Paducah, Kentucky. The senior officer represented is Admiral Hyman L. Rickover of the Naval Academy Class of 1922. He is, as well, the only deceased officer included.
The second paper was a natural follow-on which included all the ships in the U.S. Navy which were officially designated submarine tenders (AS). There were 35 such ships, of which 16 were named for people. These biographies and the derivation of the names of the other ships-mythological characters or heavenly bodies-form the concluding section of Steel Ships Iron Men.
This monograph describes 54 buildings on nine Naval installations named for submariners, officer and enlisted, and two aviators whose contributions were significant in the development of the Submarine Force and to its success from the Cold War forward. This story is told geographically, commencing with the Submarine Base, New London, Connecticut; journeying down the East Coast, then to the West Coast, and concluding at the Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor.
There are also rooms named in memory of submariners within buildings, named and unnamed. These are presented following the main portion of this paper.
The emphasis in these biographies is on the submarines in which these men served.
U.S. Naval Sub0U1rine Base. New London. Connecticut
Grenfell Hall Grenfell Hall serves as one of the headquarters buildings for Submarine Group TWO.
It was named for Vice Admiral Elton W. Grenfell, born in Massachusetts in 1903, and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1926. He attended Submarine School in 1928, and served in R-4 until 1933. He spent two years in PICKEREL (SS 177) before his tour as Commanding Officer of GUDGEON (SS 211) in which he distinguished himself by sinking the first Japanese submarine, 1-173, west of Midway Island, and two merchant ships. After being injured in a seaplane accident in Pearl Harbor, he had command of two Submarine Divisions before the end of the war. He was the first officer to serve as Commander Submarines Pacific and Atlantic, completing the latter tour in 1964. He retired in 1965 and died in 1980. He was awarded the Navy Cross, Silver Star, and a Presidential Unit Citation for his duty in GUDGEON, and a Distinguished Service Medal and three Legions of Merit for post-war duty.
Dealey Center is the movie theater and auditorium for the entire base. It was named in memory of Commander Samuel D. Dealey, born in Texas in 1906, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1930, and Submarine School in 1934. Prior to the war, he served in S-34, S-36, and BASS (SS 164), decommissioning the latter. Early in 1942, he commanded S-20, and in December 1942 commissioned HARDER (SS 257) in which he blazed the way by conducting the first of many down the throat attacks against onrushing escorts. For these attacks and others during HARDER’s six patrols in which she sank 16 ships of 54,000 tons, Sam Dealy was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and four Navy Crosses. HARDER was lost when she was depth-charged by a minesweeper off the Philippines on 24 August 1944..
Morton Hall is the base gymnasium used for a wide variety of events for more than 40 years. It was named in memory of Lieutenant Commander Dudly W. Morton, born in Kentucky in 1907, graduated from the Naval academy in the Class of 1930, and from Submarine School in 1933. He spent four years in S-37, and then successively commanded R-5, DOLPHIN (SS 169) and WAHOO (SS 238). Morton sank 19 ships of 55,000 tons during his six patrols in WAHOO. His fame stems from a daring penetration of Wewak Harbor in New Guinea in January 1943 during which an escort was sunk; and a day-long battle against a convoy of four ships of which WAHOO sank three. She success-fully penetrated the Sea of Japan twice but her first effort was thwarted by faulty torpedoes; and the second resulted in her loss after sinking one ship on 11 October 1943. Mush Morton was awarded four Navy Crosses, the Anny Distinguished Service Medal, and WAHOO the Presidential Unit Citation.
Cross Hall is the enlisted dining facility. It honors Mess Specialist First Class Joseph Cross who was born in 1920 and entered the Navy in 1942. . He made eight war patrols in TI-GRONE (SS 419). He was warded the Bronze Star, the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, and the Navy Commendation Ribbon. He was lost in SCORPION (SSN 589) in June 1968.
D’Allesandro Hall is the Enlisted Men’s Club and was named to honor Torpedoman’s Mate First Class Vincent L. D’ Allesandro. He was ordered to HARDER (SS 257) after Submarine School and was lost on her sixth war patrol on 24 August 1944.
U.S. Naval Submarine School, New London, Connecticut
Vahsen Hall houses the Damage Control Wet Trainer which enables damage control teams to practice repair of damaged piping or equipment under realistic conditions of incoming water, but under the watchful eye of experienced instructors.
Captain George Vahsen was born in New York in 1928, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1952 and from Submarine School in 1954. He served in TRIGGER (SS 564), SKIPJACK (SSN 585), ROBERT E. LEE (SSBN 601), was Executive Officer of THOMAS JEFFERSON (SSBN 618), and Commanding Officer of SARGO (SSN 583). His final tour of duty was Deputy Director of Athletics at the Naval Academy. He suffered a heart attack and died on 24 June 1980. He was awarded two Legions of Merit.
Lewis Hall houses the Radioman Class C School. It was named in memory of Rear Admiral James R. Lewis, born in Indiana in 1929, a 1951 graduate of the University of New Mexico, and a 1953 graduate of Submarine School. Dick served in POMFRET (SS 391), SWORDFISH (SSN 579), HALIBUT (SSN 587), DANIEL BOONE (SSBN 629), and was Commanding Officer of SCORPION (SSN 589) and PATRICK HENRY (SSBN 500). Subsequently, he commanded Submarine Squadron 14 and Submarine Group TWO. He was Deputy Chief of Acquisitions in Naval Material when he died in 1982. He was awarded two Legions of Merit, three Meritorious Service Medals, and the Naval Commendation and Meritorious Unit Citation. Momsen Hall is the Escape Training facility, a shallow water pool which replaced the former base landmark, the 100 foot diving tank. Training is conducted for all aspiring submariners using the Steinke Hood, the successor to the Momsen Lung.
Vice Admiral Charles B. Momsen was born in New York in 1896, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1919, accelerated because of World War I from his Class of 1920, and attended Submarine School in late 1921. He spent a short tour in 0-13, followed by three command tours in 0-15, R-24, and S-1. In the inter-war period, Swede Momsen developed the Momsen Lung for escape from sunken submarines, and later as Commanding Officer of the Experimental Diving Unit in Washington introduced helium/oxygen as the mixture for deep diving, a notable advance. He returned to the Pacific, commanding two submarine squadrons prior to taking the first wolfpack of CERO (SS 225), GRAY-BACK (SS 208), and SHAD (SS 235) on patrol in September 1943. The pack sank three ships and damaged several for which Momsen was awarded the Navy Cross. He subsequently served as Commander Submarines Pacific and Commander Joint Task Force 7 in the atom bomb tests. He also was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Service Medal, and three Legions of Merit. He retired in 1955 and died in 1967.
Street Hall is the Fire Fighting Trainer, named in honor of Captain George L. Street Ill. He was born in Virginia in 1913, graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1937, and from the second pre-World War II three month class at Submarine School late in 1940. He spent three years in GAR (SS 206) completing nine war patrols. He fitted out TIRANTE (SS 420) as Commanding Officer, made two war patrols and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his attack at Quelpart Island in Korea on 13 April 1945, in which TIRANTE penetrated the harbor and sank a transport and two escorts with six torpedoes. He was also awarded the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, and the ship a Presidential Unit Citation. After the war, Street command-ed REQUIN (SSR 481), a submarine division and squadron. He retired in 1966.
Gilmore Hall was the School Administration and principal classroom building for hundreds of submarine officers.
It was named in memory of Commander Howard W. Gilmore who was born in Alabama in 1902 and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1926. He attended Submarine School in 1931, and spent his early career in S-48, SHARK (SS 174), and DOLPHIN (SS 169), after which he commanded S-48. He commissioned GROWLER (SS 215) at the time of Pearl Harbor and made four war patrols, sinking over 18,000 tons of shipping before tangling with a patrol boat in a surface action on 7 February 1943. This concluded with Gilmore mortally wounded by gunfire on the bridge, and giving the now-famous order “Talce her down … Lieutenant Commander Amie Schade, Executive Officer, assumed command and brought the damaged ship home safely. For this action, Gilmore was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, as well as two Navy Crosses for his other patrols.
Nimitz Hall houses the Submarine Mission Support Group and the Sonar Technician Submarine (STS) and Electronic Signals Monitoring (ESM) training courses.
It was named in memory of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. He was born in Texas in 1885, and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1905. From 1909 until 1912, he served in several gasoline powered submarines as Commanding Officer of PLUNGER (SS 2), SNAPPER (SS 16), NARWHAL (SS 17), and the first diesel, SKIPJACK (SS 24). In 1912, he became Commander Submarine Flotillas Atlantic, the first COMSUBLANT. In his last submarine tour, he commissioned Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor in 1920.
He took command of the Pacific Fleet on 31 December 1941 in ceremonies aboard GRA YUNG (SS 209), and hauled down his flag in MENHADEN (SS 377) in November 1945. He was Chief of Naval Operations from 1945 to 1947, retiring after that tour. He was awarded four Distinguished Service Medals and many other decorations from 19 foreign countries. He died in 1966.
Cromwell Hall is devoted to the teaching of the Officers Course. It was named in memory of Captain John P. Cromwell, born in Illinois in 1901, graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1924, and Submarine School in 1927. He served in S-24, ARGONAUT (SM l), a minelayer, BARRACUDA (SS 163), and commanded S-20 in 1937. His wartime billets were all submarine division commands until, in early November 1943, he was ordered to SCULPIN (SS 191) as Wolfpack Commander, should one be formed. On 29 November Commander Submarines Pacific ordered the wolfpack activated but never heard from SCULPIN. It was not until after the war that the survivors of the scuttled SCULPIN revealed that she had been so severely damaged by depth charges on 18 November that she was forced to fight it out on the surface with a destroyer-and lost. The commanding officer, Commander Fred Connoway, and others were killed, but Captain Cromwell chose to go down with the ship to protect the privileged information he held. He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and the Legion of Merit.
English Hall is utilized for tactical training, with complete team trainers for the ship’s fire control parties. It was named in memory of Rear Admiral Robert H. English, born in Georgia in 1888 and graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1911. He began his submarine career in 1914 when he reported to the gasoline driven D-3, and was in command when the United States entered World War I. He fitted out and commanded 0-4 throughout the war. He held submarine division commands prior to World War II, and was Commander Submarine Squadron FOUR and Commanding Officer, Submarine Base, Pearl Harbor in the early months of the war. He relieved Rear Admiral Withers as Commander Submarines Pacific in May 1942, effectively organizing the onslaught against the Japanese naval and merchant ships until he and several members of his staff were killed in a plane crash in the California mountains enroute to a stateside conference on 21January1943. He was awarded the Navy Cross for the rescue of an officer trapped in 0-5 after an explosion, and a posthumous Distinguished Service Medal for his tour as ComSubPac.
Fife Hall provides sophisticated navigation training for students and ships’ teams alike. It employs visual re-creations of actual harbors in which submarines operate, offering exercises under all conditions of light and visibility.
It was named in memory of Admiral James Fife, Jr., born in Nevada in 1897, graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1918, and the Submarine School the same year. He served in S-3 and R-22, and commanded N-7, R-19, and R-18 until 1923. He returned to sea in 1935 in command of NAUTILUS (SS 168), and was Chief of Staff to Commander Submarines Asiatic Fleet when World War U broke out. Ultimately, Jimmy Fife ran the submarine operations out of Brisbane, Australia and was involved in the long battle to correct the torpedo deficiencies. It was during this period that Admiral Fife made many operational moves of his submarines by radio using such calls as .. Drum from Fife” when addressing DRUM (SS 228). After the war, he was Commander Submarines Atlantic Fleet from 1947 to 1950. He retired in 1955 after a tour as Deputy Commander in Chief Mediterranean under Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten, RN, and died in 1975. For his wide ranging service, he was awarded three Distinguished Service Medals. He bequeathed his estate near New London to the U.S. Navy as a recreation site.
Fluckey Hall serves as the STS and Fire Control Technician (Fl’) School building, and also houses the advanced sonar and fire control trainers. It was named in honor of Rear Admiral Eugene B. Fluckey, born in the District of Columbia in 1913, graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1935, and Submarine School in 1938. He commenced bis submarine career in S-42 and BONITA (SS 165), and commanded BARB (SS 220) from her 7th through her 12th war patrols. After the war, be commanded DOGFISH (SS 350), HALFBEAK (SS 352), and SPERRY (AS 12). He was Commander Submarines Pacific from 1964 until 1966.
For his service in BARB, be was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and four Navy Crosses, and the ship the Presidential Unit Citation. BARB sank 16 ships for a total of over 95,000 tons.
Gene Fluckey won the Congressional Medal of Honor on BARB’s 11th war patrol. He was a member of Loughlin’s Loopers, a wolfpack. Together, Commander Elliott Loughlin in QUEENFISH (SS 392), Commander Ty Shephard in PICUDA (SS 382), and Gene Fluckey in BARB harassed a large convoy off the China Coast in January 1945, firing more than 30 torpedoes in a series of attacks. The pack was finally credited with sinking four ships and damaging two. QUEENFISH and PICUDA departed the area for lack of torpedoes but Fluckey, frustrated in his search for additional targets, decided that an aggressive pursuit close to the coast was required. He was rewarded when he detected many ships in Namkwan Harbor. He penetrated on the surface in water less than 36 feet, firing 8 of his last 12 torpedoes, sinking one ship. He escaped unscathed and after missing a freighter with his last four torpedoes, returned to Pearl Harbor to a royal welcome. He made one more patrol in BARB, ingeniously sinking ships and craft with deck launched rockets, and sending a raiding party ashore which blew up a train with large loss of life. He retired in 1972, and was awarded two Legions of Merit for post-war service.
Wilkinson Hall was dedicated in 1993 as the home of the ET, RM, and TM Class A Schools. It honors Vice Admiral Eugene P. Wilkinson, born in 1918, graduated from San Diego State College in 1938, and from the Submarine School in 1942.
Dennis Wilkinson was the torpedo data computer operator in DARTER (SS 227) when she and DACE (SS 247) sank three cruisers and damaged a fourth from the major Japanese Task Force proceeding toward the epic battle with U.S. forces attacking the Philippines in October 1944. DARTER ran aground and her crew was rescued by DACE, after which DACE rendered DARTER unsalvageable by gunfire (torpedoes having exploded on the reef). Wilkinson completed eight war patrols. Subsequently, he served in MENHADEN (SS 377) to which the DARTER crew had been ordered, RA TON (SSR 270), and CUSK (SS 348), and commanded VOLADOR (SS 490) and SEA ROBIN (SS 407). He was the commissioning skipper of WAHOO (SS 565), one of the post-war fast attack Class. but it was his selection by Admiral Rickover to command NAUTILUS (SSN 571) that made him newsworthy. He proved beyond doubt the efficacy of nuclear power in submarines, and he showed the way for all the highly qualified officers who followed him in the program. He later commissioned LONG BEACH (CGN 9), the first nuclear powered surface ship in the Navy. He was Commander Submarine Force Atlantic Fleet from 1970 to 1972, the last with World War Il experience. His final tour was as Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Submarines (OP 02). He retired in 1974. He was awarded two Bronze Stars, a Silver Star, and the Distinguished Service Medal.
Darby Hatt serves as the primary Engineering Building. It was named in memory of Rear Admiral Jack N. Darby, born in Texas in 1936, a graduate of the University of Colorado in 1958, and the Submarine School in 1961. He served in CAIMAN (SS 323). DACE (SSN 607), THEODORE ROOSEVELT (SSBN 600), THOMAS JEFFERSON (SSBN 618), and was Commanding Officer of BENJAMIN FRANKLIN (SSBN 640). He died on 19 January 1987 while Commander Submarine Force Pacific Fleet. Among his decorations were three Legions of Merit, the Defense Superior Service Medal and two Meritorious Service Medals.
Ballou Hall formerly served as the Engineering Building but was vacant at this writing. It is among the six buildings at the Submarine School named for enlisted men. Chief Electrician’s Mate William E. Ballou was born in 1911, and served on surface ships, submarine tenders, and NARWHAL (SS 167). He was lost in TRITON (SS 201) on her sixth war patrol in which she operated north of New Guinea along with AMBERJACK (SS 219), and GRAMPUS (SS 207) which also did not return. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal posthumously for his performance as Chief Electrician’s Mate in charge on TRITON’s second patrol, and the Silver Star Medal for outstanding performance of duty on four TRITON war patrols.
Pennington Hall houses the Ship’s Control and Diving Trainer. It was named in memory of Chief Electrician’s Mate Roscoe C. Pellllington who was born in Texas in 1924 and enlisted in 1943. He made six war patrols in SEADRAGON (SS 194) and SPIK.E-FISH (SS 404). He also served in TILEFISH SS 307), CUSK (SS 348), CHIVO (SS 341), and RONQUIL (SS 396). His two final tours were in THRESHER (SSN 593), as chief reactor technician, and in SCORPION (SSN 589) in which he was lost at sea in June 1968.
Bledsoe Hall houses the Basic Enlisted Submarine School, honoring Master Chief Torpedoman Samuel H. Bledsoe, Jr. He was born in 1919 and enlisted in 1940. He served in 10 submarines, including SKIPJACK (SS 184), SEADRAGON (SS 194), QUEENFISH (SS 393), TORSK (SS 423), TAUTOG (SS 199), SABLEFISH (SS 303), JALLAO (SS 368), PATRICK HENRY (SSBN 599), CASIMIR PULASKI (SSBN 633), and JAMES K. POLK (SSBN 645). He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his outstanding performance as a torpedoman in charge in TORSK on her second war patrol in 1945. He died in 1987.
McNeill Hall formerly housed the Basic Enlisted School, but is being converted to use as the Nuclear Field Class A School. It was named to honor Chief Electrician’s Mate John R. McNeill who was lost in SCAMP (SS 277) in Empire waters in November 1944. McNeill was awarded the Bronze Star for his heroic control of a fire in the maneuvering room of SCAMP on her seventh war patrol in 1944.
U.S. Naval Acaderny Annaoolis. Maryland
Nimitz Library was opened in 1973, supporting the accreditation of the Naval Academy. It contains over 800,000 volumes, a special collection section which holds much World War Il data, and an archives section which holds, among other things, biogra-phies of every Naval Academy graduate. It provides ample study space for the Brigade; and houses the U.S. and International Studies Center, the Educational Resource Center, and the Photo-graphic Laboratory.
The library was named for Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, who biography appears under the Submarine Base/Submarine School section.
Hendrix Oceanographic Laboratory is an asset unique to the Naval Academy, providing a wet laboratory with Severn River salt water tanks, and facilities for 24 students conducting individual or team research. YP654 is permanently assigned to the laboratory for data and specimen collection in Chesapeake Bay. Its work is coordinated with geological, biological, and meteorological laboratories in other buildings. It wa dedicated in 1985.
The laboratory was named for Captain Charles N.G. (Monk) Hendrix, a 1939 graduate, and an All-American lacrosse player. Monk graduated from Submarine School in 1941, and served in S-39, STURGEON (SS 187), CARP (SS 338), and MAPIRO (SS 376), completing 12 war patrols. After the war, he was commanding officer of TIRU (SS 416). After attending Scripps Institute, he spent much of bis remaining career in oceanography, serving as advisor to the Deep Submergence Systems Review Group after the sinking of THRESHER (SSN 593). He retired in 1963, and taught oceanography at the Academy from 1965 until 1976. He was awarded two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, and the Navy Commendation Medal. He died in 1976.
Rickover Hall was dedicated in 1975 to house the Division of Engineering and Weapons. It contains laboratories, lecture halls, and classrooms.
It was named for Admiral Hyman G. Rickover who was born in Poland in 1900, and graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1922. He attended Submarine School in 1930 and served in S-9 and S-48, qualifying in submarines. He was selected as an Engineering Duty Only officer in 1937, and served in diverse billets, specializing in engineering until his assignment to Oak Ridge, Tennessee in 1948, which launched him on his meteoric rise in nuclear propulsion. He was retained on active duty in two year increments from 1962 until 1982, at which time be retired with four stars. He was awarded a Gold Medal by Congress, two Distinguished Service Medals, two Legions of Merit and two Navy Commendation Medals, and numerous awards by private organiza-tions. He died in 1986.
King Hall was dedicated on 15 April 1981 to honor Fleet Admiral Ernest J. King. It serves as the Midshipmen wardroom and now seats 4,480, with cooking and serving facilities capable of accommodating the entire Brigade in 20 minutes or less.
The main wing of the mess, as it was called prior to 1981, was designed in the early 1900s by Ernest Flagg, the architect of Bancroft Hall. The new wing added in 1953 to form a T increased the seating capacity by 50 percent.
Admiral King, born in Ohio in 1878, graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1901. He served in a wide spectrum of ships and shore duty assignments until 1922, when he accepted a billet as Commander Submarine Flotilla Atlantic Fleet. However, prior to assuming the duties, he elected to attend Submarine School as a captain, graduating in June 1922. He then assumed command of Submarine Divisions 3 and 11, and in 1923 returned to New London as Commanding Officer of the Submarine Base for three years, at which time he recommended that the Submarine School course be lengthened from four to six months. He never served in a submarine and was not qualified in submarines. His connection with submarines actually began in 1901 when he had an opportunity, with his classmates at the Academy, to ride HOLLAND (SS 1). He gained fame and headlines as the salvage officer in the recovery of both S-51 and S-4, sunk off New England. He became a naval aviator in 1927, and had no further submarine duty. He was early selected for Flag in 1932 after 35 years of service at the age of 54. He became Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet and Chief of Naval Operations (COMINCH/-CNO) in March 1942, was promoted to Fleet Admiral in December 1944, and retired in December 1945. He was awarded the Navy Cross, three Distinguished Service Medals and received awards from 10 foreign countries. He died in 1956.
Vandergrift Cutter Shed was dedicated in 1976 in memory of Captain Jacob J. Vandergrift. It serves today as the maintenance shop for the famous Naval Academy Sailing Squadron.
Captain Vandergrift was born in 1917 in Pennsylvania, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1939, and Submarine School in 1940. He was ordered to PERCH (SS 176) and was still aboard as communications officer at the start of World War II. He was captured by the Japanese and spent the remainder of the war in prison camps in the Empire. PERCH had been ordered to attack the forces invading Indonesia in March 1942, along with most available Allied forces. She was severely damaged by a lengthy series of depth charge attacks by Japanese destroyers in the shallow water near Soerabaja. After a valiant fight, she found herself unable to dive and on 2 March 1942 was scuttled. All the crew was rescued by Japanese destroyers. Nine of the 62 officers and men died in prison. After refresher training, Jake Vandergrift served as Executive Officer of REM ORA (SS 487) and Commanding Officer of TILEFISH (SS 307). He later commanded Submarine Division 82, Submarine Squadron 6 and the tender ORION (AS 18). His last tour was as Commander Naval Station, Annapolis, Maryland when be was also Commodore of the Naval Academy Sailing Squadron. He was awarded the Purple Heart for his prison ordeal, and the Navy Commendation Medal. He retired on 3 February 1969 and died on 6 February 1969.[Editor’s Note: This monograph will be completed in the April 1996 issue of the SUBMARINE REVIEW.]
USS BARRACUDA (SSf-3) and (SS 205)
USS MACKEREL (SST-2) and (SS 204)
USS MARLIN (SST-2) and (SS 205)
Submarine Squadron 12 Staff October 17-20, 1996 in Hagerstown, MD. Contact: R.H. Coupe, 3004 Lord Bradford Ct., Chesapeake, VA 23321-4514, (804) 484-0013
USS QUEENFISH (SS 393) and (SSN 651)
February 22-25, 1996 in San Diego, CA. Contact: CAPT Jack Bennett, 550 San Mario Drive, Solana Beach, CA 92075, (619) 755-0701.
USS TRITON (SSRN/SSN 586)
September 4-6, 1996 in Groton, CT. Contact: Ralph Kennedy, 89 Laurel wood Road, Groton, CT 96340, (860) 445-6567.