Submarine Training Facility, Norfolk, Virginia
Ramage Hall was dedicated in 1990 to serve as the Administrative Office of the Command. It contains engineering laboratories, training devices, and many classrooms.
It was named for Vice Admiral Lawson P. Ramage who was born in 1909 in Massachusetts, and graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1931. After Submarine School in 1935, he served in S-29, and was on the staff of Commander Submarines Pacific on Pearl Harbor Day. He made the second war patrol of GRENADIER (SS 210), after which he commanded TROUT (SS 202) in which he sank 6,000 tons on four patrols. He commissioned PAR CHE (SS 384), sinking four ships of 26,000 tons. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his daring night surface action in PARCHE on 30 July 1944 against a convoy of 10 Japanese ships. Ramage fired 19 torpedoes during the melee, remaining on the bridge alone in the face of heavy enemy fire. After the war, he commanded Submarine Division 52 and Squadron 6, was Deputy Commander Submarines Atlantic Fleet, and retired in 1970 following a tour as Commander Military Sea Transport Service. He was also awarded two Navy Crosses, the Silver Star and Bronze Star and two Distinguished Service Medals. He died in 1990.
Miller Hall serves as the Fire Fighting and Damage Control Training Facility and was dedicated in 1991.
It was named for Lieutenant Commander Frank Bertram Miller, born in 1903, and enlisted at 15 in 1918. He was at sea in M-1 on Armistice Day in 1918, patrolling off the coast of France. He was serving in S-10 as a Chief Torpedoman when World War II broke out, but it was his other activity which brought him considerable fame.
His first exploit as a diver took place in 1925 when Miller assisted Captain ErnestJ. King in the salvage of S-4, and later, S51. As an instructor at Submarine School in 1931, he saved Vice Admiral Red Ramage’s submarine career by interceding when he failed the escape training tank exercise. It is fitting that the Submarine Training Facility has honored both of these men. Miller retired as a CTM in 1938 but as a civilian working in the Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, New Hampshire volunteered his services in the sinking of SQUALUS; and made many dives, first determining that there were 33 men alive, and later assisting in the operation of the Mccann chamber which rescued the crew.
He was recalled to active duty in 1940, and as a Warrant Gunner dove on U-85 off the Virginia Coast-reporting that the Uboat could dive deeper than its U.S. counterparts. He later flew with the Air Force in Europe, was assigned to the Coast Guard in the Mediterranean, was sunk by a torpedo and endured five months as a prisoner of war.
He was awarded the Silver Star for his performance in the U85 project. He retired again in 1946 as a Lieutenant Commander.
U.S. Naval Station. Norfolk. Virginia
Murphy Center is the Headquarters of the Navy Relief Society on the Naval Station. It was dedicated in 1976 in memory of Vice Admiral Vincent R. Murphy.
Admiral Murphy was born in Norfolk, Virginia in 1896 and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1917 as a member of the wartime Class of 1918. After tours in surface ships. he completed instruction in submarines on board FULTON (AS 1), and served in R-23 and 0-11, commanding the latter from late 1920 until 1923. He was War Plans Officer on the staff of Commander-inChief, Pacific Fleet early in the war, after which be served his last tour at sea as Commanding Officer of ALABAMA (BB 60). He was physically retired in 1946, and promoted to Vice Admiral on the basis of his awards which included the Legion of Merit, the Navy and Marine Corps Medal and the Bronze Star Medal. He died in 1974.
U.S. Naval Base· Charleston. South Carolina
Kossler Hall is a Bachelor Enlisted Quarters dedicated in 1989 in memory of Rear Admiral Herman J. Kassler. He was born in Virginia in 1911, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1934, and Submarine School in 1937. He served in ARGONAUT (SM 1) and NAUTILUS (SS 168) prior to World War II. During the war, he served as Executive Officer of GUARDFISH (SS 217) for four patrols, and commanded CA VALLA (SS 244) on six patrols, sinking over 34,000 tons, including the carrier SHOKAKU on his first. He commanded a submarine division and squadron. His last tour was as Commander Sixth Naval District in Charleston, from which he retired in 1973. He was awarded the Navy Cross, three Silver Stars, and two Legions of Merit. CA VALLA and GUARDFISH each earned one Presidential Unit Citation. For bis support of the public sector in Charleston, he received the Outstanding Citizen Award in 1970. Rear Admiral Kossler died in 1988.
U.S. Naval Submarine Base· Kina BaY· Georgia
Raborn Hall serves as the Submarine Training Facility for the Kings Bay complex.
It was named for Vice Admiral William F. Raborn, born in Texas in 1905, and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1928. He earned his wings in 1934 and enjoyed a highly successful career both in the air and at sea in carriers. He has been honored by the Submarine Force and Kings Bay for his outstanding performance as Commander of the Strategic Systems Project Office from its inception in 1955 until 1960. He put GEORGE WASHINGTON (SSBN 598) to sea with the Polaris missile in less than five years, assuring the Navy a secure role in strategic warfare. He retired as Deputy Chief of Naval Operations ·for Development in 1963. He was Director of Central Intelligence in 1965-66. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal and the Bronze Star, and the SSPO a Presidential Unit Citation. He died in March 1990.
U.S. Naval Submarine Base· San Diego. California
Bishop Hall is a Bachelor Enlisted Quarters dedicated in June 1970 in memory of Chief Torpedoman’s Mate Walter W. Bishop. He was Chief of the Boat in SCORPION (SSN 589) when she was declared lost at sea on 6 June 1968.
Kain Hall is a Bachelor Enlisted Quarters complex of five buildings, dedicated in September 1981 in memory of Senior Chief Engineman/DV Robert E. Kain. He was the leading engineman in BONEFISH (SS 582) and was swept overboard and drowned in the South China Sea on 3 March 1981.
Jones Hall is a Bachelor Enlisted Quarters dedicated in December 1988 in memory of Chief Quartermaster Sidney W. Jones. He was Assistant Navigator in TANG (SS 306) on her fifth war patrol off Formosa when she was struck by her last torpedo and sunk on 24 October 1944. Jones was the most decorated Petty Officer of the most decorated submarine in World War II, having been awarded two Silver Stars and one Bronze Star Medal, in addition to the two Presidential Unit Citations bestowed upon TANG.
Harvey Hall is a Bachelor Officers Quarters, containing a wardroom and patio, with a fine view of San Diego harbor entrance. It was dedicated in September 1970 in memory of Lieutenant Commander John Wesley Harvey, born in New York in 1927, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1950, and from Submarine School in 1952. He served in SEA ROBIN (SS 407), NAUTILUS (SSN 571) on her trip beneath the North Pole, TULLIBEE (SSN 597), as Executive Officer of SEADRAGON (SSN 584), and Commanding Officer of THRESHER (SSN 593). Wes Harvey was lost on 10 April 1963 in the sinking of THRESHER off Portsmouth, New Hampshire, during sea trials following installation of a new weapons systems. THRESHER was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation under his command.
O’Kane Hall is the Submarine Training Facility, equipped with thoroughly modem training devices and simulators for both basic submarine operations and fire control training.
It was named for Rear Admiral Richard H. O’Kane, born in New Hampshire in 1911, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1934, and from Submarine School in 1938. He was ordered to ARGONAUT (SM 1), from Submarine School and was still serving in her when World War Il began. In March of 1942, be was ordered to WAHOO (SS 238) as Executive Officer under Lieutenant Commander D.W. (Mush) Morton until mid 1943, when he fitted out TANG (SS 306) as Commanding Officer. TANG made five highly successful patrols under Dick O’Kane, sinking 24 ships totalling 94,000 tons. One her fifth patrol, a circular run of her last torpedo sank the ship. Only nine men were rescued of which O’Kane was one. They spent the rest of
the war in Japanese prison camps. O’Kane was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. three Navy Crosses. Four Silver Stars, and the Legion of Merit. TANG was awarded two Presidential Unit Citations. Subsequent to the war, O’Kane commanded Submarine Division 32. the Submarine School. and SPERRY (AS 12). He retired as a Rear Admiral in 1957 and died in 1994.
Williams Building is the Submarine Extended Cycle/Selected Restricted Availability Training Building. located on the pier of the Submarine Base. It provides a major capability to San Diegobased submarines which would otherwise have to move to a shipyard for certain repairs.
It was named for Admiral John G. Williams. born in Oregon in 1924, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1946 as a member of the Class of 1947, and from Submarine School in 1949. He served in POMPODON (SS 486), CHIVO (22 341), and STICKLEBACK (SS 415). He was Commanding Officer of STERLET (SS 392). HADDO (SSN 604) and DANIEL WEBSTER (SSBN 626). and the squadron at Rota, Spain. His last tour of duty was as Chief of Navy Material. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Navy Commendation Medal and the Meritorious Service Medal. He retired in 1983 and died in 1991.
Naval Ship Weapon Systems Engineering Station. Port Hueneme. California
Reich Hall is the Station’s Engineering On-Site Facility which houses electronic simulation of combat systems and many of the equipment’s and system elements of the programs for which the Station is responsible.
It was named in honor of Vice Admiral Eli T. Reich, born in New York in 1913, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1935, and from Submarine School in 1939. After a short tour in R-14, he commissioned SEALION (SS 195) in late 1939, and served as Executive Officer until the ship was severely damaged alongside the pier at Cavite in the Philippines on 8 December 1941, and was scuttled. He escaped Corregidor in STINGRAY (SS 186) and remained on board as Engineer and Executive Officer until late 1943 when he was ordered to commission SEALION Il (SS 315) as Commanding Officer.
In three patrols in 1944, SEALION sank over 60,000 tons. Reich was the only commanding officer to sink a battleship (KONGO) unassisted. He also rescued 54 British and Australian prisoners of war who bad spent several days in rafts off Formosa when their ship RA YUKO MARU was sunk by the wolfpack of which SEALION was a part. After the war, be commanded Submarine Division 100 and Submarine Squadron 8.
From 1962 to 1965, he was Commander of the Surface Missile System Project which was key to the development of the 3-T missile systems. He was Deputy Comptroller of the Navy and Assistant Secretary of Defense for Product Engineering and Material Acquisition. He retired in 1973.
He was awarded three Navy Crosses and the Presidential Unit Citation for bis exploits in SEALION; the Legion of Merit and the Army Distinguished Unit Badge for other submarine service; a Bronze Star Medal for ASW duty in Southeast Asia in 1966; and two Distinguished Service Medals for his missile and comptroller duties. He lives in the Washington, DC area, and has been the leader in the establishment of the Naval Undersea Museum in Keyport, Washington for the past several years.
Mare Island Naval Shipyard. Vallejo. California
Wilderman Hall was named in memory of Commander Alvin L. Wilderman, born in Illinois in 1937, a 1959 graduate of the Naval Academy and a 1961 graduate of Submarine School. Commander Wilderman was washed overboard from the bridge of PLUNGER (SSN 595) on 1 December 1973 outside Golden Gate while the ship was enroute to routine post verbaul sea trials. In spite of an intensive search by air and sea, his body was never recovered. He had cleared the bridge of all other personnel when the ship encountered extremely heavy seas and no one else was lost. He was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal posthumously. Commander Wilderman previously served in VON STEUBEN (SSBN 632), WOODROW WILSON (SSBN 624), and as Executive Officer of PARGO (SSN 650), before assuming command of PLUNGER. Wilderman Hall was dedicated in 1983. It was built as a Nurses Quarters at the U.S. Naval Hospital in 1939, converted to Bachelor Officers Quarters in 1976 and modernized in 1983.
U.S. N&val Submarine Base. Pearl Harbor. Hawaii
Nine enlisted barracks, the Enlisted Club, and an athletic field on the Submarine Base have been named for submarine personnel who performed their duties in exemplary fashion. All were awarded decorations, ranging from the Navy Cross· to the Navy Commendation Medal. Seven of the 11 so honored lost their lives in action or in line of duty.
Andriolo Hall was named in memory of Radioman Second Class Charles Andriolo who was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal for outstanding service in TANG (SS 306) on her third war patrol during which 39,000 tons of enemy shipping were sunk. Petty Officer Andriolo was subsequently lost in action during TANG’s fifth war patrol in the Formosa Strait.
Dalwitz Hall was named in honor of Machinist’s Mate Second Class Wilbert Dalwitz who was awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism during the third war patrol of SCAMP (SS 277). During a heavy depth charging on 18 September 1943, a hull fitting carried away allowing a large stream of water under great pressure to enter the ship. Petty Officer Dalwitz threw himself against the stream of water through a superhuman effort and reached the valve which would stop the flow. He finally managed to shut the valve preventing serious flooding and possible loss of SCAMP and her crew. He died in the 1980s.
Freaner Hall was named in honor of Chief Torpedoman’s Mate Eugene Freaner who was awarded the Silver Star Medal for conspicuous gallantry while serving as Chief of the Boat in BONEFISH (SS 220) during her third war patrol in the South China Sea. During repeated attacks against vital enemy military and naval forces while under constant enemy depth charges, bombing and shelling, Chief Freaner rendered invaluable services in contributing to the sinking of 21,000 tons of hostile shipping and to the infliction of serious damage upon 19,000 additional tons.
Paquet Hall was dedicated to the memory of Gunner’s Mate First Class Feeman Paquet, Jr. who was awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism during the fourth war patrol of HARDER (SS 257). Petty Officer Paquet was instrumental in the rescue of a downed naval aviator from an enemy held island while under intense small arms fire. He was still serving in HARDER during her sixth patrol when she was lost in action in the South China Sea as a result of an enemy depth charge attack.
Robertson Hall was named in memory of Motor Machinist’s
Mate Third Class George Robertson who was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal for outstanding performance of duty in TANG (SS 306) during her third war patrol in which she sank 39,000 tons of enemy shipping. Petty Officer Robertson was subsequently lost in action during TANG’s fifth war patrol in the Formosa Strait.
Thomason Hall was named in honor of Chief Commissary Steward W. Thomason who was awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism during the fourth war patrol of HARDER (SS 257). Chief Thomason volunteered to lead a team from HARDER to an enemy held island to rescue a naval aviator whose plane had been ‘shot down. Although fully aware that unforeseen circumstances might result in the forced abandonment of the entire party. Chief Thomason courageously fought his way through the surf despite dangerous hostile sniper fire and, locating the exhausted aviator, succeeded in bringing him back to HARDER.
White Hall was named in memory of Gunner’s Mate First Class James White who was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service as gun captain in TANG (SS 306) during a war patrol in enemy waters. Petty Officer White steadfastly manned his battle station throughout numerous attacks against enemy shipping, contributing to TANG’s success in avoiding intense enemy countermeasures and in completing an extremely hazardous mission. Petty Officer White was subsequently lost in action during TANG’s fifth war patrol in the Formosa Strait.
Zelina Hall was named in honor of Chief Torpedoman’s Mate George Zelina who was awarded the Silver Star Medal for conspicuous gallantry while serving as leading torpedoman in NARWHAL (SS 167) during her first war patrol in the Wake Island area during which 12,000 tons of enemy shipping were sunk.
Smallwood Hall was named in memory of Engineman Third Class James E. Smallwood who was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal posthumously. He was supervising the charging of the oxygen system on board SARGO (SSN 583) alongside a Submarine Base pier in June 1960 when a violent explosion and raging fire engulfed the charging compartment. His adherence to safety precautions prevented additional loss of life and saved the ship from catastrophic damage.
Beeman Center is the Enlisted Club and was named in memory of Chief Phannacist’s Mate Arthur C. Beeman who was awarded
the Bronze Star Medal posthumously. Beeman lost his life instantly when struck by machine gun fire on the bridge of AMBERJACK (SS 219) on her third war patrol in the Southwest Pacific in February 1943. Beeman had gone topside to aid an officer injured earlier by the same gunfire. AMBERJACK was lost in the encounter.
Gabrunas Field was named in memory of Chief Motor Machinist’s Mate Philip J. Gabrunas who was awarded the Silver Star Medal posthumously. He was lost on 19 November 1943 when SCULPIN (SS 191) was scuttled on her ninth war patrol after suffering severe depth charge damage. He volunteered to assist in the scuttling and went down with the ship along with Captain John P. Cromwell and ten others.
Millican Field was named in memory of Commander William J. Millican. He was born in New York in 1904, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1928, and the Submarine School in 1932. He served in S-10, S-29, and was Commanding Officer of S-18 prior to the war. He made four war patrols in command of THRESHER (SS 200) in 1942-43, sinking five ships of more than 21,000 tons. He commissioned ESCOLAR (SS 294) in June 1944 and was lost on her first patrol in October 1944 in a wolfpack with PERCH (SS 313) and CROAKER (SS 246) in the East China Sea, probably to enemy mines.
Grenfell Pool is the all-hands pool named in honor of Vice Admiral Elton W. Grenfell who was Commander Submarines Pacific Fleet in 1956to 1959 and Commander Submarines Atlantic Fleet from 1960 to 1964, the only officer so posted to that date. His biography appears under the Submarine Base/Submarine School, New London, Connecticut.
Cromwell Pool is the Enlisted pool named in memory of Captain John P. Cromwell whose biography appears under the Submarine Base/Submarine School, New London, Connecticut.
Lockwood Hall serves as the Officer’s Quarters and Club. It was named for Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood who was born in Virginia in 1890, and graduated from the Naval Academy in the Class of 1912. After two years in battleships, he was sent to the Asiatic Station where he spent time under instruction in submarines on board MOHICAN, a steamship launched in 1873, which supported submarines but was never classified as a tender. In rapid succession, he was Commanding Officer of A-2, B-1, G-1, N-5, the German NC-97, R-25, S-14, and in 1926 commissioned BONITA (SS 165). Thereafter, be was Commander Submarine Division 13 and Chief of Staff to Commander Submarine Force U.S. Fleet (which became the Submarine Force Scouting Fleet in 1939). Early in World War II, be was Commander Submarines Southwest Pacific where be was the driving force behind the resolution of the Torpedo Mark XIV fiasco. He was Commander Submarine Force Pacific Fleet from February 1943 until December 1945, and credited with the grand strategy which brought the Japanese to their knees. He was promoted to Rear Admiral in October 1942 and to Vice Admiral in October 1943. He retired after a tour as Navy Inspector General in September 1947. He was awarded three Distinguished Service Medals, the Legion of Merit, and Dutch and British Medals. He died in 1967.
Three submariners have been honored by the naming of spaces within buildings, one of which was named for a submariner.
U.S. Naval Shipyard. Portsmouth. New Hampshire
John H. Billings Conference Room in Planning Building was named in memory of Lieutenant Commanding John H. Billings, born in Jamaica, New York in 1928, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1950, and from Submarine School in 1952. He served in BUGARA (SS 331) and BONITA (SS 552), after which he received a doctorate in applied mathematics. He was assigned to the Planning and Estimating Department of the Portsmouth Shipyard and was lost in the sinking of THRESHER (SS 593) on 10 April 1963.
U.S. Naval Academy. Annapolis. Maryland
John F. Laboon Chaplain Center was dedicated in 1993 in memory of Captain John F. Laboon. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1921, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1943 as a member of the Class of 1944, and Submarine School in late 1943. He completed five war patrols in PETO (SS 265), the only submarine in which be served. He later decommissioned the ship. He resigned in 1946 and spent the next 10 years studying for the Jesuit priesthood. He was recalled to active duty in 1957 as a Reserve Chaplain, was the first Chaplain to work· with Polaris submarines while on the Staff of Commander Submarines Atlantic Fleet, and was augmented into the regular Navy in 1966. He served with the Marines in Vietnam in 1969 and 1970, and retired in 1980. Jake was awarded the Silver Star for the rescue of a downed aviator while in PETO, and the Legion of Merit for his duty with the Marines. He died in 1988.
Submarine Training Facility, Norfolk, Virginia
Frank Allcorn Theater in Ramaae HalI, the auditorium in Ramage Hall, was named in honor of Captain Frank W. Allcorn, m, USNR who served as Torpedo Officer of PAR CHE (SS 384) for two war patrols in 1943-1944 during which she sank nine enemy ships of over 64,000 tons. It was Lieutenant Allcorn’s exceptional performance in training his torpedo crews which enabled Commander Lawson P. Ramage to fire 19 torpedoes in an intense 46 minute action under heavy enemy gunfire. P ARCHE sank four ships and damaged one with 15 bits. Lieutenant Allcorn was awarded the Silver Star for his service in PARCHE.
CAPT James Gold Andrews, USN(Ret.)
CAPT Joseph F. Qeald, USN(Ret.)
CDR Jim Holian, USN(Ret.)
RADM C.O. Triebel, USN(Ret.)
cAPT Robert JC.R. Worthington, USN(Ret.)