Why Not Build a VIRGINIA With an Insert?
- Lower procurement cost per boat (-16-17% less than new design)
- Lower design cost (-28% less than new design)
- Leverages ongoing VIRGINIA-Class production line
- Largest force structure for equivalent strategic presence additional platforms required VIRGINIA-Insert variant would require refueling: hull life extension required increased force structure VIRGINIA Class was not designed with SSBN maintenance philosophy Increased personnel and maintenance costs
- Highest total force life-cycle cost (estimated 12% greater than New Design)
- Acoustic signature vulnerable to projected threats -lacks survivability
- Free board and ballast issues would require substantial redesign